- » News
Geo for All Educator Awards 2015
On behalf of the GeoForAll Educator Award Selection Committee, we are pleased to inform all that the Individual and Team Awards for the "GeoForAll - Global Educator of the Year Award 2015" has been announced at the FOSS4G 2015 - Europe "Open Innovation for Europe" conference at Como, Italy on Friday. The award committee had the very difficult task of selecting the GeoForAll Educator of the Year out of the well deserving list of nominees.
Individual award goes to Sterling Quinn (Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA) for his course on "Open Web Mapping" and Team award for Kurt Menke (Birds Eye View) Nate Jennings (Urbandale Spatial), Jon Van Hoesen (Green Mtn College), Rick Smith (Texas A&M,) and Phil Davis, Delmar College (all in USA) for their GeoAcademy development efforts.
This is an opportunity for us to thank all colleagues for their excellent contributions to Openness in Education principles in the Geo domain. Our congratulations to all individuals or teams who received one or more nominations for the 2015 GeoForAll Global Educator of the Year Award. They all are our stars and "Geo for All" community would to like to thank all educators worldwide who have made contributions to open education efforts and being good global citizens by helping spread the benefits of education to all.
In no particular order, the nominees were:
- Daniel Baldwin, Costa Rica International Academy, Costa Rica, for his course on Mapping the Mangroves.
- Phil Davis, DelMar College, Texas, USA for his ongoing leadership and tireless efforts leading the creation of the GeoAcademy.
- Genovevea Laurente, Consultora Calixto, Uruguay and gvSIG Batovi for the course "Sistemas de Informacion Geografica con uso de datos abiertos orientado a la educacion," or in English, "Geographic Information Systems for Education using Open Data".
- Kurt Menke, Bird's Eye View GIS, Alburquerque, NM, USA, for his Introduction to Open Source and Web Mapping course he developed for Central New Mexico Community College.
- Sterling Quinn, Pennsylvania State University, Pennsylvania, USA, for his course on Open Web Mapping.
- Giorgio Zamboni, Politecnico di Milano, Como campus, Italy for his PoliCrowd: A Social Network App with NASA World Wind.
- Environmental Information Centre GRID-Warsaw; UNEP/GRID Warsaw for their EduGIS Academy.
- Open Source Geospatial Laboratory team at ETH Zurich, Switzerland for their Interactive Web Maps course.
- Shashi Shekhar and Brent Hecht, Computer Science, University of Minnesota, USA for their Massive Open Online Course "From GPS and Google Maps to Spatial Computing".
- Lluis Vicens (SIGTE,Spain), Toni Hernandez (SIGTE, Spain), Jeremy Morley (University of Nottingham,UK), Alberto Romeu (Prodevelop) and Jorge Sanz (Prodevelop) for their GIS Open Source Summer School at the University of Girona in Spain.
- Ricardo Olivira, Raphael Moreno - FOSS4G lab, University of Colorado, Denver USA for their course materials.
- Raquel Sosa, Rosario Casanova and Jorge Franco, for their gvSIG Educa/Batovi effort in Uruguay.
- Kurt Menke - Brids Eye View, Nate Jennings Urbandale Spatial, Jon Van Hoesen Green Mtn College, Rick Smith Texas A&M, and Phil Davis, Delmar College (all in USA) for their GeoAcademy development efforts.
On behalf of the GeoForAll Educator Award Selection Committee
Prof. Charlie Schweik (Award Committee Chair)
Prof. Georg Gartner (President, ICA)
Jeff McKenna (President, OSGeo)
Chen Jun (President, ISPRS)
Prof. Maria Antonia Brovelli (Italy)
Dr. Xinyue Ye (USA)
Dr. Luciene Delazari (Brazil)
Dr. Tuong-Thuy Vu (Malaysia)
Prof. Venkatesh Raghavan (Japan/India)
Prof. Ivana Ivanova (Brazil)
Jeroen Ticheler (The Netherlands)
Dr. Serena Coetzee (South Africa)
Prof. Helena Mitasova (USA)
Anne Ghisla (Germany)
Patrick Hogan (USA)
Dr Suchith Anand (UK/India)
Posted 28/03/2016 22:29 by Roberto« Back